facelift & mini-facelift nyc
A facelift is a cosmetic surgical procedure designed to provide a more youthful, refreshed, and rejuvenated appearance to the lower face and neck. A facelift is somewhat of a misnomer as it only addresses the lower face, neck, and sometimes the midface. It improves the jawline, reduces jowling, and enhances the skin laxity and banding in the neck.
Everyone wants a natural result without that pulled or windswept look. People’s faces and necks age differently. You may have read or heard about different types of facelifts. The minilift, weekend lift, or lunchtime lift are some examples. These different trendy names and techniques are simply marketing tools and do not delineate exactly what this lift will do for you. It is essential to be evaluated by a trained professional facial plastic or plastic surgeon who can determine what type of lift is best for your particular case. A patient with prominent neck bands and a very obtuse neck angle would not benefit from a simple mini lift, but rather this patient needs a more extensive face and neck lift to obtain his/her aesthetic goals. Ultimately, you and your surgeon should see eye to eye and agree upon what is most important to you during the facial rejuvenation process.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF A FACELIFT?
Patients will achieve a smoother neck, and less wrinkles on their neck and lower face. They will also experience a smoother jawline and improvement of jowls and in some cases the only treatment for the lower face is face/necklift. A facelift is one of few interventions that can take 10-15 years off your age.
WHAT IS A MINI-FACELIFT?
Recovery from a Facelift
- Immediate: you will wake up with a head wrap and cool towels on our face. You will spend about an hour or two in recovery room and then your ride can take you home.
- 2 days: the swelling and bruising will be present but you will be able to get around yourself and perform daily activities.
- 1 week: you will return within a week for a checkup and to remove the dressings. You will have some swelling, but results should start to be visible.
- 2 weeks: you will return to remove the stitches and for a wound check. The swelling will be much improved at this point.
- 1 month: your result will start to be more visible and scars will be healing. You will be 80 percent healed at this point. The rest 2o percent will be healing over the next few months.
- 6 months – 1 year: final result will become visible
NYC FACELIFT GENERAL PROCEDURE OVERVIEW
Although there are different iterations or variations of a facelift that Dr. Kalsow can provide to his patients, there are common approaches across each liposuction procedure. Most facelift procedures will follow this approach:
- The goal of a facelift (also known as a Rhytidectomy) is not to change your image or visage, but to obtain a natural, rested and more youthful appearance to your face. At his Manhattan office, Dr. Kalsow will analyze your face and assess the type of facelift that would benefit you most to give the most aesthetic, natural, and long-lasting result. Dr. Kalsow uses advanced techniques to customize the face lift that is right for your face. He also uses advanced technology to minimize bruising and reduce recovery and downtime.
- You may notice jowling (droopy jowls along the jawline) or that your jawline is not quite as sharp and defined as in the past. There are bands coming down your neck from your chin and there is lax skin in the neck. The angle of your neck has become more obtuse and less defined. A good test to see if the look of a face and neck lift appeals to you is to take a hand mirror and lay down flat in bed. Look at your jaw line and neck in this position and this may give you a better idea of what a facelift can do for you.
Frequently asked Questions:
The type of facelift or neck lift you may require will depend on your anatomy, how your face and neck have aged, and your desires. Most of Dr. Kalsow’s facelift patients are in their late 50’s or 60’s and have significant neck laxity, jowls, and sometimes muscle banding in the neck. Therefore, Dr. Kalsow typically performs a deep plane facelift with a vertical vector and may address the neck muscle and fat depending on the severity of the anatomy there.