TUMMY TUCK | MINITUCK
A tummy tuck is a remarkable way in which women can restore their body to their youthful shape and form by reshaping their waist; eliminating excess skin, and correcting the stretched muscles of the abdomen. Among the common issues with aging, is a condition called “diastasis recti,” in which the muscles of the abdomen separate and aren’t able to get back to the position. There is also extra hanging skin and fat, stretch marks, the belly button becomes horizontal with skin hanging over it, and the waistline is widened. Tummy tucks address this issue but removing the hanging skin, tightening the muscles, making a new vertical belly button, and narrowing the waist.
HOW TO PREPARE FOR YOUR TUMMY TUCK
Dr. Kalsow will give you instructions as you prepare for the procedure. He will address all of your questions or concerns and come up with the best surgical plan individualized to you that will achieve your desired look or goals. He will go over your pre-operation instructions with you as well. This includes getting basic lab work done, obtaining medical clearance if you’re over 50 years old. If you’re a smoker, you will also be instructed to stop smoking for four (4) weeks leading up to your surgery. You will need to arrange for someone to drive you to and from surgery. You may also likely be advised to not intake any food or fluids after midnight the night prior to your surgery.
WHY GET A TUMMY TUCK or ABDOMINOPLASY?
A flat, toned stomach is a physical feature many of us strive for through proper diet and exercise. But a multitude of factors such as aging, genetics, giving birth, and weight fluctuations all play a role in the appearance of our midsections. Abdominoplasty, or Tummy Tuck as it is commonly referred to, is one of the top 5 cosmetic surgical procedure for women in the US according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, and surprisingly is becoming more and more popular with men across the country too.
Once you have your consultation with Dr. Kalsow, he will discuss whether you’re a good candidate for your tummy tuck as well as any additional, but beneficial procedures. In many cases, women in NYC, Manhattan, Queens, and Long Island, New York opt to have their abdominoplasty as part of a Mommy Makeover. A Mommy Makeover in NYC would combine procedures such as breast augmentation (or reductions), liposuction and potentially facial sculpting, which would seek to create the best vision of a youthful you.
TUMMY TUCK CANDIDATES
- Abdominoplasty is not a substitute for weight loss, although a Tummy Tuck can and is often done in conjunction with a Liposuction procedure. The objective of the surgery is to improve the contour of the body by flattening and narrowing the abdomen.
- Your general health should be good. You don’t suffer from any major cardiovascular, kidney, or respiratory conditions or any other major illness, and would get medical clearance to receive general.
- You are a nonsmoker or are willing to quit smoking or quit taking tobacco in any form for a minimum of three weeks before the surgery and during the recovery period.
- Your body mass index (BMI) is below 35. Ideally, for best results, it should be below 30.
- We recommend that you have a wellness plan in place to maintain your new figure and to keep the fat from coming back.
HOW DOES A TUMMY TUCK WORK?
The following is a general overview of the steps taken for a tummy tuck procedure.
- Tummy Tuck removes extra skin and fat from the stomach which makes it look flatter and your waist a little thinner. This is done to further thin out the flap of skin and improve the definition of your waist.
- During a Full Tummy Tuck, your muscles are pulled closer together so the stomach does not protrude as much. This is especially needed after having kids which can cause your muscle to expand.
- You will also receive a new belly button that is vertical, looks natural, and is shaped youthfully. Also, a lot of the stretch marks are removed from your stomach and you are given a scar that is hidden well below the bikini line.
THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF Tummy Tucks
There are 2 types of tummy tucks available for patients at Dr. Sergei Kalsow Plastic Surgery.
FULL TUMMY TUCK
- The full tummy tuck can require about 2-3 hours to perform.
- A horizontal incision will be made under your bikini line.
- The extra skin and fat will be removed.
- The displaced and separated muscles in the abdominal wall will be rejoined and tightened with internal sutures, and finally, a new belly button will be made for you. At the end of the procedure, you will have a better contour and silhouette.
- The mini-tummy tuck only requires around 1-2 hours to perform and can be performed under local anesthesia.
- Only involves removing a little extra skin on the bottom of your abdomen.
- The horizontal incision will be shorter than that of a full tummy tuck and a second incision will not be necessary.
- The belly button is typically unaffected during this technique.
- Not everyone qualifies for a Mini Tummy Tuck. This option is available for those who have a relatively smaller amount of excess skin compared to full tummy tuck candidates.